Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween Origin


Have you ever wondered where the idea for Halloween came from? I mean come on, who would ever say "Ok kids, go and knock on stranger's doors and ask them for food"? This holiday was started by the Celts more than 2,000 years ago. They celebrated the beginning of the New Year on November 1, called Samhain (SAH-win). They believed that the night before, spirits, demons, and fairies walked the earth. People would sacrifices animals over bonfires and dress in animal skins and other costumes to confuse these spirits. Sometimes they impersonated their dead family members. These traditions evolved into an excuse to break down social order for a day. Men dressed as women, women as men, children as their parents, etc. It is also believed that people who dressed up as spirits would go and perform silly acts for people for food. This is probably how trick-or-treating began. When Samhain met Christianity, Halloween was born. November 1 is All Saints Day, or Hallows Day. The night before, Hallow Eve, soon became known as Halloween. For more information about how Halloween began, and how MN had a major role in modern day Halloween, visit http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/10/081027-halloween-facts-costumes-history_2.html

6 comments:

Ngoc/Jimmy said...

The tradition of Halloween intrigues me. My parents never feel safe because they hear these bad news of children getting kidnapped during Halloween so I can't go trick or treating, however this year it will change. I've noticed that Halloween has a lot of stories behind it. Theirs many different stories behind it. However, I would probably follow this history one just because I'm a guy who believes in history. However, I still wonder if we believe that spirits actually came and walked the earth, would their be utter chaos where parents act as kids and kids as parents, women as men, and so on? Well, we obviously don't take it that. However, when Halloween comes up, none of us actually question where it originated from. At least I know I don't. I'm pretty sure most people don't. But it is good to know that origins of how it came to be still exist so at least we get a sense of how it started and why it has appealed to so many today. I'm so glad theirs a post out their besides about politics.

Mackenzie E. said...

Very nice article choice! I have often heard things about Halloween and Christianity so it was good to get the stories straight. I think that it is amazing to see the change over time in a certain event. It shows us how it only takes one thing to change the future. The founding of Christianity helped make Halloween what it is today.

gwendolyn said...

I find the development of Halloween pretty interesting because of the changes that it has gone through. Although it traditionally remains a night to scare and be scared, it is still appealing to little five year old girls dressed as fairies and princesses. Because of its pagan origins, I am aware that "celebrating" Halloween and trick-or-treating is very controversial among groups of people, including Christians. This seems a little conflicting because it sounds here that Christians had something to do with the creation of the holiday. I would like to know more about the origins of the jack-o-lantern because if I recall correctly, that had some strong significance in the pagan traditions that started this whole celebration.

Narah L. said...

Out of all our holidays, I like Halloween has the strangest origin. I wonder why people would have thought that spirits and what-not walked on earth on that particular day. Also, why would they want to confuse the spirits? So they wouldn't get possessed or something? Anyway, I thought this article was quite interesting. I'll celebrate Halloween with the same mindset again.

Kate J said...

This is really interesting, I've always wondered about it, but never looked it up. You learn something new everyday. It also helps explain why some religious groups don't like the holiday either, because the dead come back and what not. And when kids say "trick or treat", it used to actually mean trick or treat. I think it would be really fun to have it be like it used to instead of now where you just give out candy, but I'm guessing it's a little unsafe. Still, I wish it was like it used to be. I've always wanted to say "trick" instead of give them candy and see what happens. Maybe I'll try it this year.

Erik P. said...

I actually knew this. All of our traditions were brought to the United States by immigrants. The Irish brought their holidays and we just picked it up along the way. I suppose it also helps that candy companies make a fortune off of sugar-high kids in costumes. Most holidays are like this in that they were originally adopted and introduced to our culture. Like Christmas in that it that it was a pagan holiday for the winter solstice and then adopted for Christianity.